Friday, April 11, 2008

Simple Song (from 'Mass")

Text by Stephen Schwartz based on Psalm 121. Leonard Bernstein used this text to craft the only memorable composition, to me at least, from his Mass published in 1971. There’s a Wikipedia entry for this composition ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_(theatre) ).

 

I may sing this someday soon:

 

 

Sing God a simple song: Lauda, Laude.

Make it up as you go along: Lauda, Laude.

Sing like you like to sing.

God loves all simple things, For God is the simplest of all.

I will sing the Lord a new song to praise Him,

to bless Him, to bless the Lord.

I will sing His praises while I live, all of my days.

Blessed is the man who loves the Lord, who praises Him,

Lauda, Laude, and walks in His ways.

I will lift up my eyes to the hills from whence comes my help.

I will lift up my voice to the Lord singing, Lauda, Laude.

For the Lord is the shade upon my right hand, and the sun shall

not smite me by day, nor the moon by night.

          —Stephen Schwartz based on Psalm 121

No comments: